Saturday, April 17, 2010

My goal- Running my First 5k Race!

Today I ran my very first race at the Chickamauga Chase. It was a nice cool morning perfect for running. During the week I had tried to see how far I could run but couldn't even make it a mile. I was worried how I would do this race and not walk most of it. I surprised myself and ran almost the entire 3.1 miles! The only times I walked were up a few hills but after the hills I would run again. Now my running is a slow jog...but hey it's not walking! My time was 43.28 minutes. I came in 30th out of 39 in my age group. Not great but at least I wasn't last!
Caleb and Jim came out to support me...mainly to take pictures to prove that I did this! :)

Caleb waiting on me to come running by at the start


Getting ready to start- I am at the back of this crowd of 1500 people!

Finally coming by them- Caleb got upset when I couldn't stop to see him. I did not know this till after the race. Jim said he cried like I had abandoned him. He had my attention the rest of the day!!

Almost done- I am on the far left. This was right before Caleb ran up to me which you see in the picture below.



Yay! Crossing the finish line. The girl to the right of me in the blue is a friend from church. We stayed together for most of the race.




It was a nice feeling to know that I accomplished something that I never thought I would do. I never liked running and still don't but this was fun!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

That is awesome! I am so proud of you! I'm sure doing this with friends has been great motivation for you too. Way to go!

becky bell said...

Congrats girl! So glad one of us made it to the race! So proud of you!